Efficient And Cost-Effective
Divorce And Family Law Representation

Skilled Representation In International And Interstate Family Law Issues

It is common for an ex-spouse to move to another state or country after a divorce. To ease the problem of obtaining satisfactory enforcement or modification of a support decree in such a situation, the Uniform Interstate Family Support Act (UIFSA) was enacted. UIFSA sets forth procedures for:

  • Enforcing another state’s support order against an obligor who lives or works in Texas
  • Enforcing a Texas support order against an obligor who lives or works outside Texas
  • Modifying another state’s child support order in a Texas court
  • Establishing parentage and a support order when the supported family resides in one state and the obligor resides in another

Call M. J. Hill & Associates, PLLC, in San Marcos, Texas, at +1-512-212-4916 to speak with an experienced lawyer.

Applicable Laws Concerning Interstate And International Family Law Matters

UIFSA’s application is limited to the United States, territories of the United States, and foreign countries or political subdivisions that have: (1) been declared to be a foreign reciprocating country or political subdivision under federal law, (2) established a reciprocal arrangement for child support with Texas, or (3) enacted a law or established procedures for issuance and enforcement of support orders that are substantially similar to the procedures under UIFSA. UIFSA allows you to “follow” your ex-spouse by filing a petition where you reside and having the decree registered in a court in your ex-spouse’s own state.

Another uniform law was enacted to facilitate application of the full faith and credit doctrine to judgments of courts in foreign jurisdictions — the Uniform Enforcement of Foreign Judgments Act (UEFJA). UEFJA does not apply to judgments and decrees rendered by courts of foreign countries. The law does provide a procedure for enforcing a judgment of another court in the United States by filing an authenticated copy of the judgment with the clerk of any court of competent jurisdiction in Texas.

Contact An Experienced Family Law Attorney

If you have an international or interstate family law issue, call +1-512-212-4916 or use our online email form on the contact us page to schedule a consultation.

Our Services

What Our Clients Say:

“I would highly recommend Matthew Hill for legal representation. He was incredibly nice to deal with in an unpleasant situation. He really set my mind at ease, I always felt like he heard what I had to say and that he genuinely cared about my family.”

– CORY S.”