Divorce issues: Can you appeal a custody decision in Texas?

On Behalf of | May 20, 2020 | Child Custody

One of the most concerning divorce issues for Texas parents involves child custody decisions. Courts work hard to ensure such decisions put the best interests of the child at the forefront, but many parents disagree with the court’s ruling. While simply disagreeing with a court’s decision is not enough to file an appeal, there are some instances when such an action is allowed.

Before going forward, you should understand that there may be another way to address divorce issues revolving around custody. When you are not happy with the court’s custody ruling, it might be possible to request a modification to your existing custody plan. Examples of circumstances in which this option may solve your problems include the following.

  • If your child wishes to modify the custody agreement, but this typically only applies with older children (12 years or older)
  • If your circumstances warrant a modification (e.g. a change in work hours)
  • If one parent has relinquished the child to the other parent for at least six months

Appealing a custody decision is a much more involved and formal process than requesting a modification. You may appeal a custody ruling if you believe that the judge or the court made a mistake when ruling on custody matters. 

Even when you think an error occurred and you have good grounds upon which to appeal, it is wise to seek legal guidance before going forward. Speaking with an attorney experienced in addressing complex divorce issues like child custody gives you a great opportunity to explore all your options. Together, it is possible to find a solution that benefits you and your children.