What to do when your parenting agreement fails you

On Behalf of | Mar 26, 2020 | Child Custody

One of the most important things you’ll do in your divorce is create a parenting agreement. It’s designed to provide you and your ex-spouse with direction as you navigate the often challenging process of co-parenting.

Even if you were happy with your parenting agreement at the time it was created, things can change as time goes by. There may come a point when you realize that your parenting agreement is failing you, thus making it difficult for you and your ex to provide your children with the appropriate environment for growth.

Fortunately, you’re not out of luck. There are a variety of steps you can take, including the following:

  • Talk it out with your ex: For example, if you’re struggling to stick with the visitation schedule you agreed upon, look for ways to improve the situation. A little bit of compromise and negotiation between the two of you can go a long way.
  • Give it time: This doesn’t always work, but it’s important that you don’t jump to conclusions. For instance, if things aren’t going as planned after a couple weeks or a month, you may assume you need to adjust your parenting agreement. However, since the both of you are new to co-parenting together, it’s going to take some time to adjust. The same holds true for your children, as they’re going through a lot of changes, too.
  • Request a modification: If all else fails, you may need to request a modification. Take for example a situation in which your ex isn’t complying with the parenting agreement, thus making it difficult for you to spend time with your children. You may have no choice but to request a modification, to protect your legal rights as a parent. You could also find yourself back in court for things such as relocation, child support modification or visitation rights.

When working through the creation of a parenting agreement, it’s your hope that you get everything right. But even if you do, there may come a point when you’re not seeing eye to eye with your ex.

Should you be unable to work through your problem outside the court system, it may be time to request a modification.